- Real Estate Transactions
- Land Use and Entitlements
- Business Entity Formation and Governance
- Business Purchase and Sales Agreements and Commercial Contracts
- Equity and Debt Financing
- Government Contracts, Regulation and Administrative Law
- Sustainability and Green Development
- California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA)
- Real Estate and Business Civil Litigation
- Government Relations and Crisis Management
RECENT SIGNIFICANT ASSIGNMENTS:
Real Estate Transactions Practice
- Negotiated and documented the Disposition and Development Plan documents with the City and County of San Francisco for the Treasure Island Development Project, a $1.5B master planned development in San Francisco.
- Negotiated and documented a Property Purchase Agreement and two Option Agreements for a planned $40M hotel in Northern California.
- Negotiated and documented acquisition of Northern California bed and breakfast inn/restaurant.
- Negotiated and documented partnership documents for property owner on the $125M sale of downtown San Francisco real property.
- Negotiated and documented an Exclusive Negotiations Agreement with the Bay Area Rapid Transit District (BART) for a $140M, 240 unit, multi-family mixed use development.
- Negotiated and documented an Exclusive Negotiations Agreement with the City of Anaheim for an $80M, 140 multi-family mixed use development.
- Negotiated the $5M acquisition of The Aquarium of the Bay, a leading San Francisco visitor attraction on PIER 39 in San Francisco, from BNP Paribas.
- Negotiated and documented an Option Agreement for the acquisition of 750 acres for an Indian Gaming facility in Sonoma County, California.
- Negotiated and documented an Option Agreement for the acquisition of a 17-acre parcel of waterfront property in Sacramento.
Land Use and Development Practice
- Currently represent Bay Area marina developer in the entitlement and development of a new 400-slip marina.
- Currently working with private landowners on due diligence and property acquisitions for in-fill development sites in the Bay Area and Northern California counties.
- Managed the successful entitlement process for the Treasure Island Project, which was approved by the San Francisco Board of Supervisors on an 11 to 0 vote on June 14, 2011.
- Represented private clients before Bay Area local elected bodies and regulatory agencies on a variety of business, land use, and regulatory matters including CEQA and NEPA matters.
Business Corporate and General Counsel Practice
- Outside General Counsel for privately held, start-up IP company involved in commercializing trade secret technology in the field of hybrid seed for animal consumption. Prepared business plan materials, entity formation documents, private placement offering documents, company bylaws, articles of incorporation, private placement stock offering and convertible preferred note transactions for successful first and second rounds of funding, prepared and filed two successful trademark applications, and drafted and negotiated license agreements, material transfer agreements, confidentiality agreements and other general contract work. Work closely with the executive management team and the board on company business and board matters.
- Outside General Counsel for privately held, start-up biotechnology company focused on cancer biotherapeutics. Prepared company business plan, entity formation documents, company bylaws, articles of incorporation, stock purchase agreement and convertible note agreement totaling $7M, negotiated and drafted contract research agreements, technology transfer agreements, patent assignments, employment agreements and general business matters, and represented an affiliated company in negotiations and documentation of a $20M round of Series A financing. Work closely with executive management team and the board on company business and board matters.
- Outside General Counsel for established Northern California private equity investment fund. Recent assignments included:
- Drafted entity formation and transaction documents for new real estate company, negotiated and drafted private placement offering documents and limited liability company operating agreement, transaction documents and closing documents for several real estate transactions totaling in excess of $15M.
- Drafted entity formation and transaction documents for new media and publishing company located in Northern California, negotiated and drafted private placement offering documents and limited liability company operating agreement for $20M acquisition of regional media company.
- Drafted entity formation documents and transaction documents for purchase of restaurant and liquor license and negotiated building permit issues for sporting club.
- Manage general corporate matters, contract matters, and outside tax and employment counsel.
- Outside General Counsel for Italian engineering conglomerate establishing its California operations in the fields of LED and energy conservation measures using proprietary and innovative IP technologies.
- Negotiated $5M loan for acquisition of The Aquarium of the Bay with Comerica Bank, and thereafter $8M sale of The Aquarium of the Bay.
- Negotiated and documented numerous partnership agreements for company and third party accounts.
- Negotiated, documented and managed over $20M of third-party contractor and contractor contracts for company and third party accounts.
- Negotiated and documented the Project Labor Agreement with the San Francisco Building and Construction Trades Council for the Treasure Island Project.
Federal, State and Local Regulatory Practice
- Strong, working relationships with members of the Bay Area Congressional, State Legislative and Bay Area local elected officials, and commissioners and senior staff at regulatory bodies.
- Managed the passage of H.R. 2647 in the 2010 National Defense Authorization Act, which was signed into law in 2010 by President Barack Obama.
- Managed the passage and signing of California Senate Bill SB 813 during the 2009-10 session, California Assembly Bills AB 981 and AB 1496 during the 2007-08 session, California Senate Bill SB 184 during the 2005-06 session and Senate Bill SB 1873 during the 2003-2004 session.
- Contract lobbyist for multiple private clients over the last decade.
Energy and Sustainability Practice
- Drafted the Treasure Island Sustainability Plan, an innovative blueprint for the integration of sustainability measures into the plans for the redevelopment of Treasure Island.
- Close working relationship with Governor Brown’s Special Assistant for Solar Energy.
- Working with an Italian engineering conglomerate on LED and energy conservation technologies for introduction into the US markets.
- Worked with the USGBC LEED Program and California State Agencies such as California Department of Resources, Air Resources Board, and BCDC on sustainability practices, including sea level rise issues and solutions.
- Worked with the Clinton Climate Initiative on its Carbon Positive Campaign, an international effort focused on worldwide sustainability measure in large development projects across the globe.
Public Private Partnership Practice
- Currently co-manage portions of the Treasure Island Project with private sector co-partners and City and County of San Francisco Mayor’s office.
- Currently work with the Bay Conservation and Development Commission on permitting, entitlements, policies and Sea Level Rise strategies for the Bay Area.
- Represented Life Sciences Company in obtaining a $3M grant from the California Institute of Regenerative Medicine (CIRM).
- Represented large construction company in obtaining lease for marine shipments of construction commodities with the Port of Oakland.
Frequent and successful presenter of company projects at federal, state and local hearings and public meetings.